1. The story “The Portrait of a Lady” is written by –
- Khushwant Singh
- A. R. Williams
- Walt Whitman
- Ted Hughes
2. Why did the grandmother keep one hand on her waist?
- To balance her stoop
- To sit
- To dance
- To sleep
To balance her stoop
3. Where did the author spend his childhood?
- In the town with his mother
- In the town with his parents
- In the village with his father
- In the village with his grandmother
In the village with his grandmother
4. The grandmother accompanied her family to see off and receive …….
5. The grandmother always carried with her
- vanity bag
6. The grandmother and the author were good-
7. The turning point of the author’s friendship with the grandmother was-
- the settlement of their parents in the city,
- the engagement of parents in a private company
- parents’ illness
- none of these
the settlement of their parents in the city
8. The author’s grandmother was unhappy with city education because –
- she was a gentle lady
- she was conservative and religious
- she was not a good lady
- she does not have faith in education
she was conservative and religious
9. How did the sparrows react after grandmother’s death? They …
- Started chirping loudly
- Sat quietly
- Sat scattered on the floor
- Sat on her legs
Sat scattered on the floor
10. Grandmother has been portrayed as a very ….. lady –
11. What did the sparrows do when the dead body of the grandmother was carried off?
- They went with the funeral procession
- They chirruped loudly
- They flew away quietly
- None of these
They flew away quietly
12. The grandmother believed that education should
- idea based
13. Who did appear like the ‘winter landscape in the mountains?
- Narrator’s grandmother
- Narrator’s mother, er
- Narrator’s father
14. Narrator’s grandmother had been old and wrinkled
- for ten years
- for fifteen years
- for twenty years
- for twenty-five years
15. What for did the grandmother prepare the author
- For collage
- For office,
- For school
- None of these
16. What was grandmother’s reaction when the author was going abroad?
- not even sentimental
not even sentimental
17. Did the author bother to learn the morning prayers that his grandmother recited?
- he listened but did not bother to learn
- he could not learn
he listened but did not bother to learn
18. How do you feel about the character of the grandmother in the chapter?
19. How did the sparrows express their sorrow at the death of their grandmother?
- They didn’t come that day
- they came and sat silently in the verandah
- They ate the bread crumbs
- they chirruped a lot
they came and sat silently in the verandah
20. What did the grandmother do in her final hours?
- Talked to everyone in the house
- worried about everyone
- Silently praying and telling her beads
- Went to temple
Silently praying and telling her beads